I started this by precooking gluten-free waffles.
Well. I started this by asking K to precook waffles. Yes, that means my half of this recipe was the easy half.
The picture tutorial moves counter-clockwise.
- Lightly oil baking sheet. Add one tablespoon (ish) of marinara + a slice of eggplant.
- Layer of baby kale. Spinach would be good as well.
- Several thin slices of zucchni.
- Half slice of provolone cut into strips.
- Couple slices of tomato
- The over half slice of provolone.
- A tablespoon of marinara on the other waffle, lightly smush, and cook in oven on 350 for 30 minutes.
I have four of these pans so two held sandwiches and the other two were used to gently weight the sandwiches closed. You may notice the fillings all go different ways- the cheese in particular is sort of a glue so I felt that the more the ingredients were stacked in opposing directions, the better they’d hold together.
You can stuff these with anything, but for 14 veggie sandwiches I used:
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 smallish eggplants
- 2 zucchini
- 2 big handfuls baby kale
- a little less than a jar of marinara
- 14 slices provolone cheese
- 28 gluten-free waffles